Welcome! This page lays out all the current programs & support structures we have for movement leaders and hubs so you can easily sign-up and plug into structures most helpful for you!
(NOTE: This page is new and will be evolving a lot in the next several weeks as we continue to build it.
If you have feedback DM Gabbi Pierce on the National Slack or email [email protected])
Core Organizing Programs
These programs are designed for Hubs across their journey of development (see hub classification system).
Who’s it for? – People who are brand new to Sunrise and have just joined our email/phone list, as well as people in the movement who are now ready/interested in joining or starting hubs.
What: Dozens of young people all across the country express interest in joining the movement on a daily basis. Many of them want to join or start hubs. This team is responsible for orienting them to Sunrise, supporting them to take action, and helping them find their home in the movement.. This includes supporting folks who want to start hubs through the “New Hub Journey.”
Sign Up: Click here to attend a Movement Welcome Call, take distributed action, or to start/join a hub.
Contact: Sophia Zaia (Program Manager) – DM on the national slack or email [email protected]
Who’s it for? – Newer Sunrise Hubs (Forming/Emerging Hubs)
What: Are you ready to skill up your hub leaders, expand your base, and popularize the Green New Deal in your community through moral protest? This spring, Sunrise is supporting hundreds of hubs with coaching and trainings to build power in our communities and take action together for good jobs for all. Learn more here.
Sign Up: This program is currently closed for new sign ups. The program will open admissions for a new cohort of participating hubs around June 2021. However, this programs guides/resources are accessible via the Movement Leaders Portal.
Contact: Luis Marchese (Program Manager) – DM on the national slack or email [email protected]
Emerging Hubs Network
Who’s it for? – Moderately Developed Hubs (Emerging Hubs).
What: The Emerging Hubs Network brings emerging hubs into a community of practice and support. By offering a slack channel, peer coaching calls, advanced 1:1 coaching support – this network is designed to help provide community, coaching and support for your Emerging Hub. Learn more here [coming soon!].
Sign Up: This network will be launching in late April 2021. Check back soon!
Contact: The Program Lead is currently being determined. In the meantime you can contact Bre Macpherson-Rice by DMing him on the national slack or emailing [email protected]
GND with It – Campaign Squad
Who’s it for? – Stronger Hubs (Emerging/Strong Hubs). Currently leaders in 34 hubs are participating.
What: This is a a training and coaching program cohort of other Sunrise leaders across the country who are running campaigns to win a Good Job for every American. Together we will experiment and support each other to develop campaigns in our communities that build local power, popularize a Jobs guarantee in every community, and contribute to our collective fight for a Green Recovery.
Sign Up: This program is currently closed for new sign ups and will run through mid-June. The programs guides/resources will be accessible via the Movement Leaders Portal starting in April. We will evaluate the program’s success and make decisions about whether we will run a similar program over the Summer of 2021
Contact: Betsy Ericksen (Program Manager) – DM on the national slack or email [email protected]
Constituency Organizing Programs
Sunrise’s Constituency Organizing Programs support the organizing and development of leaders and hubs who hold particular identities.
Read more about the structure, approach and vision of our Constituency Organizing programs here.
and contact our Constituency Organizing Director, Naomi Hollard by DMing her on the national slack or emailing her at [email protected].
Who’s it for? – Latine Sunrisers
What: We are Latine youth across the nation fighting for the Green New Deal and we are bringing our communities along with us. We invite any self-identifying Latine folks to join us, whether you’re new to Sunrise, a member or leader within the movement. We will lead a Latine specific campaign and organizing tactics grounded in Sunrise Movement strategy.
Launch Stage: Somos Sunrise is active and launched! You can get involved right now!
Sign Up & Contact: To get involved DM Li Adorno (Program Manager) on the national slack or email him at [email protected]
Rural Organizing Program
Who’s it for? – Rural Sunrisers
What: Rural America is home to millions of Americans who want a Green New Deal. From Northern New England, Appalachia, The deep south and the mountain west, there are thousands of counties that will benefit from good jobs, better healthcare and dignity. The Rural Organizing Program is developing organizing strategy, culture and practices to help Sunrise Movement spread throughout those communities in a way that feels natural to those communities.
Launch Stage: The Rural Organizing Program Core Team is launching now, and the full program will launch in May.
Sign Up & Contact: To get involved DM Dylan Carney (Program Manager) on the national slack or email him at [email protected]
Black Organizing Program
Who’s it for? – Black Sunrisers
What: We are black youth across the nation fighting for the Green New Deal and we are bringing our communities along with us. We invite black Sunrisers, whether you’re completely new or a leader, to join the Black Organizing Program.
Launch Stage: The Black Organizing Program Core Team is launching now, and the full program will launch in May/June.
Sign Up & Contact: To get involved DM Day Bradshaw (Program Manager) on the national slack or email her at [email protected]
Targeted Organizing Programs
These programs are designed to support Hub Leaders and Hubs in specific geographic areas.
2022 Key States Program
Who’s it for? – Sunrise Hubs and Leaders in specific, strategic states (which are still being determined).
What: In the lead up to the 2020 Midterm Elections, we want to be strategic and build power where our movement can have outsize impact. Modeled on the approach and work we did in Georgia for the Senate run-off elections in 2021, this program will work with Hubs in key states to develop a deep and collective strategy to change the state’s political weather, press for major policy and win crucial elections.
Launch Stage & Contact: This program is in active development. To get involved or learn more, DM Michele Weindling (Regional Organizing Director) on the national slack or email her at [email protected].
Specialized Programs & Support Structures
The support structures in this section are designed to provide hubs and hub leaders
with more specialized support around specific organizing needs.
Monthly Online Trainings Rhythms: Sunrise offers monthly trainings to support you and your hub grow around key skills and concepts – including centralized orientation trainings to help your Hub onboard new members! Learn more and sign up at the link above. Current offerings include:
- Sunrise Orientation Trainings: Our Plan to Win
- How to Grow Your Hub
- Leading Great Meetings Online
- Action Planning 101
Host Sunrise Trainings in your Hub: Sunrise has a suite of offerings and resources to help you host local trainings as part of your hub!
- Hub Resources Directory – Trainings Page – Walks you through the process to get coaching and support to host a local training as well as a curriculum library.
- Trainings for Trainers – Sunrise will be hosting trainings for trainers periodically over 2021 to so that hubs will be equipped to absorb new people after actions and grow sustainably. We’ll update this space as soon as we set details!
Contact: Sara Blazevic (Trainings Director) – DM on the national slack or email [email protected]
Overview: The National Mobilizations team works with Sunrise programs and with Hubs directly to make sure they are skilled up and prepared to lead powerful, escalated actions.
- National Moments of Action – In general, you can count on the national mobilizations team to offer an Action Guide, Actions Training and 1:1 coaching to support hubs around national moments of action.
- On Demand Action Coaching – To request 1:1 coaching from the National Mobilizations Team to support an escalated action, fill out this form!
- #takingdirectaction – Join this national slack channel (moderated by the national mobilization’s team) for actions support
- Hub Resources Directory Actions Page – Your one-stop-shop for action guides!
Contact: Roberto Juarez – DM on the national slack or email [email protected]
Communications & Creative
Overview: The National Comms/Creative team provides a combination of trainings, coaching and communities of practice to support Hubs around this area of work.
Communities of Practice – Are designed to support Hub Leaders to hone the skills they need for a given role, share ideas/challenges, and receive support from their peers and from movement leaders who have a high level of experience and craft in that area of work. To get involved or get coaching, DM the Program Manager listed below:
- Visual Strategy & Action Art – Ad Naka – [email protected]
- Video – Allyson Woodard – [email protected]
- Design – Mariela Gandara – [email protected]
- Public Narrative, Action Speeches, and Spokes – Jeremy Ornstein – [email protected]
- Press and Social Media for Actions – Neha Desaraju (Program Manager) – [email protected]
- National Moments of Action – In general, you can count on the national comms/creative team to offer trainings and guides around campaign narrative before major moments of action.
- 101 Trainings – Offered on the National Trainings Sign Up page, these ~monthly comms/creative trainings will help you skill up in video, design, action art, public narrative & press/social).
Contact: Nina Eichner – DM on the national slack or email [email protected]
Justice, Equity & Anti-Oppression (JEAO)
Overview: Our JEAO Support Programs are grounded in the reality that it is going to take significant organizing, capacity, and commitment to bring our movement in line with our Priority 3 projects. Priority 3 is our commitment “Transform all Sunrise leadership to see themselves as drivers of justice, equity, and anti-oppression and to cultivate a deep embodiment of JEAO, through political education, self-transformation, skills trainings, and ongoing caucuses.”
These program offerings are designed to help us collectively move toward liberation in our movement spaces. For more information on JEAO work click here.
Get Support: Below are our current suite of offerings to support Hub Leaders around JEAO. Click the corresponding link or DM the Program Coordinator to plug in or learn more!
- #jeao-support_network – Join this national slack channel (moderated by the national mobilization’s team) for actions support.
- Hub Resources Directory – JEAO Page – Your one-stop-shop for JEAO support guides & resources!
- JEAO Network – Johnathon Williams (JEAO Coordinator) – [email protected]
- Anti-Racism Training for White Folks – Em LaShelle (Training Manager) – [email protected]
- Patriarchy in the Movement – Johnathon Williams (JEAO Coordinator) – [email protected]
- Community Healing and Accountability Team (CHAT) – Eric Rodriguez Virgen (Team Coordinator) – [email protected]
- Disability & Accessibility Team – Casey Clowes (Team Coordinator) – [email protected]
Contact: Jesse Meisenhelter – DM on the national slack or email [email protected]
Political & Partnerships
Overview: The national Political & Partnerships team provides trainings, coaching and communities of practice to support Hubs around this area of work
- Hub Resources Directory – Political & Partnerships Page – Your one-stop-shop for Political & Partnerships support guides & resources!
- #help-political – Join this national slack channel (moderated by the national political team) for political support.
- Partnerships Role Network – Launching in April, this space for people leading on Partnerships work in Hubs will provide a slack channel, monthly calls, trainings and coaching. Contact Benjamin Finegan on the national slack or email [email protected] to get involved.
- GND Network Table Support Networks – Launching in April, this space for leaders participating in GND Network State Tables will provide a slack channel, monthly calls, trainings and coaching. Contact Benjamin Finegan on the national slack or email [email protected] to get involved.
Contact: Zoë Cina-Sklar – DM on national slack or email [email protected]
Operations, Data & Hub Funding
Overview: Our national Operations, Data and Finance teams provide a suite of resources to support Hubs and Hub Leaders.
Data & Digital Tools:
- Hub Resources Directory – Data & Digital Tools Page – Your one-stop-shop for Data & Digital Tools support guides & resources!
- Data Role Network – This is a space for people leading on Data work in Hubs and provides a slack channel, monthly calls, trainings and coaching.
Operations & Finance:
- Financial Resource & Support Offerings Dashboard – This dashboard summarizes all financial and material support offerings we have for hubs and hub leaders (including free Zoom Accounts, Free Texting, and more!).
- Hub Finance System – The Hub Finance System allows hubs to have their own ActBlue Fundraising Page and debit card! It can allow your hub to level up. Sign up here!
- Principle 6 Financial Support for Poor/Working Class Sunrisers – This program provides financial support of up to $600/month to poor and working class Sunrisers.
- Hub Material Support Grants – Hubs can apply for up to $3000 to support their organizing efforts several times per year. Contact Mark Scrimenti, Movement Finance Manager, on slack or at [email protected]
- Finance Role Network – This is a space for people leading on Finance work in Hubs and provides a slack channel and coaching. Contact Mark Scrimenti, Movement Finance Manager, on slack or at [email protected]
Movement-Wide Programs & Support Structures
The support structures in this section are designed to facilitate communication and connection to enable deeper collaboration
and mutual support between national and hubs, and between hubs themselves.
Movement Communication Rhythms
What: Baseline communication rhythms (calls & written updates) coordinated by Sunrise National designed to keep our movement connected, aligned, strategic and in community.
Key Rhythms: Below you’ll find a few examples of key rhythms.
- National Leader Calls – Monthly full movement updates with staff and movement leaders.
- Heart of the Movement Calls – Movement-wide community building calls to strengthen our culture.
- Strategic Dialogue Calls – Deep dive calls to discuss high level strategic questions for our movement.
- (much more!)
- The Sunbeam – Weekly National Newsletter for the Movement.
- Monthly Transparency Update – A deep dive update of key organizational info on the Movement Leaders Portal
- (much more!)
Learn More & Plug In: See the full set of 2021 Movement Communication Rhythms and learn how to receive or plug into each here [<– coming soon!].
Contact: Questions, feedback or ideas? DM Brian Stilwell (Deputy Movement Coordination Director) on the national slack or email [email protected]
What: The core baseline resources and infrastructure to help our movement communicate and organize.
- National Slack – Slack is our primary digital space for communication, coordination and community. Sign up for the National Slack here.
- Movement Leaders Portal – The Movement Leaders Portal (pw: GND) the movement’s one-stop-shop to get key information and support resources to organize.
- Hub Resources Directory – As a key section of the Movement Leaders Portal, the Hub Resources Directory is the movement’s one stop shop for all of Sunrise’s written resources/recorded trainings in organizing.
- HubHub – An app to update your hub’s map and leader information. It’s really important to keep this info up-to-date. Please do so at least monthly.
Contact: Questions, feedback or ideas? DM Gabbi Pierce (Movement Coordination Coordinator) on the national slack or email [email protected]
Hub Constituency Networks
What: Hub Constituency Networks are designed to connect Hubs who share a particular hub-based identity, so that they can build community, troubleshoot common challenges, strategize and support one another.
- These networks generally host bi-weekly or monthly calls for network members as well as hosting and moderating a slack channel on Sunrise’s national slack. These networks are open to all relevant Hub members.
- These networks are led by a core team of volunteer Hub Leaders, and supported by Sunrise staff from the Movement Coordination team.
Active Hub Constituency Networks:
- New Hubs Network – Join the #new-hubs-network channel on the national slack to plug-in or DM Paul Campion on the National Slack or email [email protected].
- Middle/High School Network – Join the #middle-high-school-network channel on the national slack to plug-in or DM Audrey Lin on the National Slack or email [email protected].
- College Network – Join the #collegehubs channel on the national slack to plug-in!
- Red States Network – Join the #red-states-hub-network channel on the national slack to plug-in!
Identity-Based Support Networks
What: Identity-Based Support Networks are designed to connect Sunrisers who share a specific identity to provide community and peer-to-peer support.
Networks in Development:
- 35+ Supporters Network – This network provides community, connection, guidance and training for Sunrise’s 35+ Supporters. This network is in the process of forming, and hoping to launch in early summer.
- High Capacity Volunteer Network – This network is designed to provide community, connection and mutual support infrastructure for High Capacity Volunteers within Sunrise. This model was piloted in the Fall of 2020, and we’re hoping to re-launch a version of this network in summer 2021.
Contact: Brian Stilwell (Deputy Movement Coordination Director) – DM on the national slack or email [email protected].
What programs are for you and your hub?
Ladder of Engagement:
A Ladder of Engagement is an organizing framework used to describe the level of commitment and roles played by different people in a movement at a given time. The purpose is not to assign value to people on different levels of the ladder (i.e. the goal isn’t to move as many people to the “top leader” category as possible). Movements need to have people at ALL rungs of the ladder of engagement to be successful, people often cycle between these rungs during their time organizing, and the number of people at each rung of the ladder usually goes down as the level of commitment (and sometimes skill) goes up. You can read more about this framework here
Hub Classification Framework:
Much like the Ladder of Engagement above, it’s also useful to have shared language to describe where Hubs are on their journey of development. In the past we used the terms “forming”, “emerging” and “strong” as shorthands to describe a Hubs journey of development — but heading into 2021, we’re looking to update that framework and you can see our new draft below. You can learn more here.